How often do you plan to let your child play?

practical parenting gaming discussions

Re: How often do you plan to let your child play?

Postby stemalo » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:29 am

I totally agree with Agent C
stemalo

Postby Adscan » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:31 am

Same here, I might as well have written it. ;)

Etch
Adscan
Main Console: PS4
XBL ID:

Postby stemalo » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:22 am

better yet, let's send our kids to be kept y Agent C and We will play disney infinity ;-)
stemalo

Postby Agent C » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:39 am

Hold on. Two kids are all I can handle. Remember, I'm 37. I don't have the energy I once had.

rank_500
Agent C
Main Console: Wii U
PSN ID:
NN ID:

Postby Soubi » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:44 am

We won't get to play until December (bought the game as a bday gift, with many of the figures going to be xmas gifts) but the plan is to let her play as often as she's interested. She has Skylanders Giants, and while she does ask to play it, its not too terribly often. We're hoping that because its Disney it will help her enjoy it more.

Of course, as usual her dad and I plan on playing also! He told me no when I asked if we could give the base game to her early ;_; no playing til December

rank_250
Soubi
Main Console: PS3
PSN ID:

Postby Daan » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:56 am

What my uncle did whit my my cousins was quite clever. He just had a place with all the Skylanders in Package and everytime they learned something new they got to chose a new one. One for first time peeing on the toilet, one for first day at school, etc. etc. they could together earn like one Skylanders and they really liked it somehow :D

rank_250
Daan
Main Console: PS3
PSN ID:

Postby Tinker Tom » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:41 am

That brought me back Daan. My dad use to do that with me with Garbage Pail Kid cards.

I don't have set rules for my 5 year old daughter to play. We don't stay up late on school nights but she likes to read, color, and do other play as well. I grew up gaming so if we decide to play for hours on a Saturday I have no problems with it We could play 5 days in a row and then go a week + with out playing because of scheduling.

rank_100
Tinker Tom
Main Console: Xbox One

Postby meldo24 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:35 pm

Hey all wanted to stop in a give my 2 cents, I have a four year old, and I agree with a lot of the said comments above we let her play eduacational games, on the tablets and phones. I treat my xbox as a little daddy daughter time or exercise time in the winter when we play the dance game the nickelodeon has put out. If she is playing games alone I always have the xbox disconnected from online play, and I normally let her play in 20-30 min sessions. My fear is I do not want her to get so sucked into technology that she forgets about being a kid, playing outside and getting bumps and bruises

rank_0
meldo24
Main Console: PS4
XBL ID:

Postby waltrapp » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:05 pm

Very interested in other people's thoughts on this. My son has really been into video games for a few years (he's now 7), and we have to beg him to go outside, to play sports, etc. We've also typically limited his Wii time to 30-45 minutes a couple nights during the week with more time allowed on the weekends. That said, he and his sister typically spend an hour watching Netflix at night after dinner, homework, baths, etc. while Mommy and Daddy get stuff done around the house, lunches prepped, etc. and before we read stories for bedtime. After buying the Wii U and Disney Infinity, I'm both encouraged and discouraged by my son's reaction (as well as my own). On one hand, I feel like the creativity involved with playing this game (vs. say a fighting game like Skylanders or an adventure game like Epic) is such a healthier/more beneficial way to spend an hour than watching television. Not to mention, there's so much to do with the game that I feel like if I only let him play an hour or two during the week and then a few hours on weekends, he'll never even scratch the surface of what the game can do and what he can do with the game. The downside is that he's completely obsessed (and I may be a little too) with the game. Pretty much all he talks about and all he wants to do. We've been making him earn extra game time by reading chapter books, doing choirs, etc., which I think is certainly a positive. I'm a little concerned, however, that by feeding and fueling this hobby, that I'm diminishing the chance that he will be come more interested in sports and outdoor activities as he gets older. Just curious how others feel about what is reasonable and what is unreasonable for a 7 year old.
waltrapp
Main Console: Xbox 360

PreviousNext

Return to Disney Infinity gaming parents