it's as if Disney Infinity never existed

release dates, identification, wish lists, images, videos, and general information

Re: it's as if Disney Infinity never existed

Postby rogpalmeruk » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:23 pm

This is where gaming has changed and I don't think companies are really "getting it" just yet, titanfall and battlefront both had backlash over not having offline play, the whole gaming industry is changing, they want to go digital but they often aren't sending the right signal that digital is long term is more than just a rental

rank_250_ftb
rogpalmeruk
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby BionicKoalaBoy » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:01 pm

@rogpalmeruk

It is as if the reduced price of a digital version is our admission that we accept at some point in the future it may not be any longer available to us. It's assuming we're all like the Fifa and COD fans who buy the latest versions and discard anything older than a year. I for one am still playing games I did 35 years ago, gulp. The use of the term RENT is very apt, and sad.

But on another note... I have been uploading the 3.0 Toy box TV episodes to my Youtube acct. ( I don't know if copyright will cause this venture to be fruitless ). But i'm doing the tips n tricks episodes 1st as they're actually useful rather than just fun. I'll do the top 5s next...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwId_c ... noPP2Fin_A

rank_250
BionicKoalaBoy
Main Console: Xbox One
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Stitch » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:14 pm

Gaming has definitely changed. Console gaming isn't as simple as popping in a disc or cartridge anymore, now you pop in a disc and have to wait a few hours for the disc to download and then have to wait longer for the day one patch and all future patches. Then you end up running out of room on the console, have to uninstall some games and then reinstall them again if you want to play them another day.
Games are now being released unfinished and this is becoming a norm. It's also becoming a norm to have half the game cut out for future DLC to milk money out of us. Gaming is turning for the worse and becoming a very greedy and unreliable industry and Disney Infinity's closing proves it. I agree with you all, I refuse to invest in toys to life ever again.

rank_1500
Stitch

Postby rogpalmeruk » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:27 am

It's funny you said that..... I got back off vacation yesterday, booted up my ps4.... set hitman colorado & transformers to download, the new lego star wars poe level and a LEGO Dimensions update to play the new mission impossible level to download overnight....didn't actually get to play any of it!

rank_250_ftb
rogpalmeruk
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby BionicKoalaBoy » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:20 pm

My gen' still laugh about waiting for 4 or even 7 minutes for a Commodore 64 or Spectrum game to load off tape in the 'Golden days' ( 80s ).

FAST FORWARD ....

Now in the 20-teens and its now worse than the 90s. Cartridges were INSTANT. This is why Nintendo Poo poo'd the Playstation in the 90s. The N64 had instant silicone access. Digital Wi-fi access and loading will always be 'laggy'. YOU JUST CANNOT BEAT 'A CARTRIDGE IN A SLOT'. I still hard-cable my consoles to my router, Wi-fi is slow, unreliable and always lets you down. Even then I still have the 'Unplug for 30 seconds and reboot'. I literally am driven insane by modern tech. I waste so much time with my 4 kids sorting out wi-fi, tv access, laptop signals, passwords, exceeded users, freezing, quitting. Even just watching television is passwords, apps, blah, blah blah. I SOUND LIKE SUCH AN OLD FART. BUT...

We literally DID NOT HAVE THIS 'STUFF' pre 2000. And it worked.

Over-tech anything and it becomes a chore. And gaming almost has. I have my Dreamcast and PS1 plugged in next to my Xbox One, and whenever it gets my goat, on goes Crazy Taxi or Ridge Racer. Slap in a disc, instant FUN arcade gaming. No menus, waiting for people to join, updates, signal issues. I don't have 16 'odd buttons to try to remember either just to move around and function. PLAY. DRIVE. SHOOT. Doesn't even have to be about high scores, but FUN. A quick bash before dinner time.

Those were the days...

Now i'm taking myself off to bed with a hot cup of cocoa and an original Gameboy with Tetris in it's slot. Night night...

rank_250
BionicKoalaBoy
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby rogpalmeruk » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:59 pm

Haha I remember my old Atari 65xe would take 15 minutes to load Elite and the tape had to be flipped over and if you didn't get the right marker on the time slot

rank_250_ftb
rogpalmeruk
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby BionicKoalaBoy » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:40 pm

SO many possible anecdotes to old skool gaming. We could rename the Forum :) !!! But get told off for going 'off topic'.

For me the Sega Dreamcast wast the last great pure GAMES CONSOLE. But for many probably the PS2. The water has been muddied with muli-media ever since, and despite many thinking i'm probably just wearing my rose-tinted-specs, unless you were there - I think I'm right in saying that we were the luckiest generation growing up as kids when arcades were still king.

rank_250
BionicKoalaBoy
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Elmo STM » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:26 pm

^im in my twenties and agree with what you said, until recently the n64 and snes where most of my childhood gaming went. I loved the dream cast it was my favourite disc based console.

It sucks that when we buy games they aren't complete. I can still turn on my snes and throw in donkey kong with no issues but in the same time frame will we be able to do that with our Xbox ones or ps4s (if they last that long) without server access for the updates and patches to fix unfinished games?

rank_lotso_ftb_mr
Elmo STM
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby BionicKoalaBoy » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:02 am

It's like people not forseeing the MILLENIUM BUG pre year 2000. ( Google it if you don't know ).

If a game you own was downloaded or it was significantly patched, then it is very likely in the future it will not exist in the 'cloud'. I am not tech minded, but server closure is inevitable as console generations progress isn't it? And storage for downloadable content and games isn't INFINITE is it either is it?

SCENARIO: 2036 and I decide to GO RETRO and pick myself up a XboxOne. ( Which would be like a PS1 or N64 timeline wise )
The hard drive is clean with no content. So what are the problems? You would have to use the 'Day one' desk-top and menu without a single up-date or patch. Games would have to be disc only ( Though there may be shared ROMS available online ) These could be USB transfered or downloaded if capable. So i suppose that train of thought means also means if someone could archive updates and downloads somehow, they could be shared later ( ? ).

But low user numbers use of old games which are not playable online would make many games redundant. That's is the big problem i think. Determined retro communities could probably get round the tech, but a game without a significant off-line mode would be pointless. ( ie Plant Vs Zombies GW, SW Battlefront etc ). When PVZ Garden warfare's community dwindles, that disc becomes a coaster.

rank_250
BionicKoalaBoy
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Previous

Return to Disney Infinity hardware and software, merchandise and toys