MARCH 3rd SHUT DOWN & Wifi figure FUNCTIONALITY

release dates, identification, wish lists, images, videos, and general information

MARCH 3rd SHUT DOWN & Wifi figure FUNCTIONALITY

Postby BionicKoalaBoy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:43 am

So that dark spectre that seemed so distant is now just a month away. Being an older user, I find this situation akin to the worries over the year 2000 millenium bug.

I just wanted to ask one particular question of the dwindling community, but if anyone else can add details about what else they are expecting or worried about, please share. I don't think you can be too prepared, as there's no turning back after March 3rd.

- Firstly I have had a few 'Can't connect to server' messages already during January. I have not experienced this ever before. Are things already crumbling?
- Secondly I lost all my offline saves at one point, and my own saves all reverted to cloud! I panicked a tad and have had to download everything again, which took ages.

BUT ONTO MY QUESTION: I have a handful of figures left to get, of which most are in the last few waves. This means that they in the packaging that carries the wifi symbol and require an online update to function. Am I right in saying that?

SIMPLY PUT - If I cannot pick up a 'wifi' figure and use it before March 3rd, will these figures become statues? Do they NEED that update to function?

Thanks guys.

rank_250
BionicKoalaBoy
Main Console: Xbox One
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Re: MARCH 3rd SHUT DOWN & Wifi figure FUNCTIONALITY

Postby Elmo STM » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:08 am

The updates are on Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo servers so they aren't dependant on Disney servers. Thankfully meaning that even if you pick them up in a years time the update will still be there. Think of playing a Xbox 360 game from launch that you haven't played, once you put it in it'll ask for a update even if the company who made he game went bust.

Hope that makes sense, its early in the morning so brain mightn't be functioning as it should

rank_lotso_ftb_mr
Elmo STM
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby BionicKoalaBoy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:31 am

Cheers does make sense. I didn't want to have to dash out and spend 50 quid in one pop without a real need to.

rank_250
BionicKoalaBoy
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Elmo STM » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:52 am

Yea I'm in the same boat as yourself but your console should already have the latest download, so you won't need to download again when you grab your new figures.

rank_lotso_ftb_mr
Elmo STM
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Sherrif Ben » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:50 pm

This sounds horrible, i've still some figure to collect as well.
Hopefully we can still use the wifi needed figures after 3 March when we buy them
Hi Ho Silver Away

rank_750
Sherrif Ben
Main Console: PS4

Postby Elmo STM » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:21 pm

@sherrif ben it's nothing to worry about, the updates aren't on the Disney servers thankfully

rank_lotso_ftb_mr
Elmo STM
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Sherrif Ben » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:05 pm

That's good news, now i've some more time to collect them.
Hi Ho Silver Away

rank_750
Sherrif Ben
Main Console: PS4

Postby mr jenzie » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:03 pm

sorry but i have to ask this
what are wifi figures?

rank_50
mr jenzie
Main Console: PS3
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby BionicKoalaBoy » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:52 am

@Mr jenzie

The last waves of figures, like Antman, Black Panther etc and onwards, have a yellow bar on their packaging, which shows a wifi logo.

This “Wifi” logo on the front of the packaging indicates that to use this character the console will have to be connected to the internet to download a data patch. This doesn’t mean the console has to be connected at all times, just to download the latest patch.

Note: The exception to the rule was Black Spidey, because he had already been patched in 2.0.

My concern was whether their is a 'one-for-all' patch, or whether each figure needs it's own. And also, would the server shutdown make downloading the patch no longer possible, making any new figures bought after March 3rd un-usable? Are the individual patches only 'triggered' or downloaded when the specific figure is placed on your Infinity base?

Apparently the Disney servers do not supply the patches, so we have nothing to worry about short term... :)

rank_250
BionicKoalaBoy
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Next

Return to Disney Infinity hardware and software, merchandise and toys