Star Wars: The Force Awakens ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Star Wars: The Force Awakens ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Postby Sheriff Woody » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:48 pm

if you have watched Star Wars: The Force Awakens and would like to discuss including spoilers please use this topic only.

thanks

Sheriff
Sheriff Woody
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Postby braiko » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:30 pm

So who else has seen it?? Amazing movie. There is a LOT of nostalgia, almost TOO similar to A New Hope in parts, but that is my only criticism, because it is glorious! [spoilers to follow, you have been warned - if you haven't seen it, what are you in this thread for? do yourself a favour and stop reading]

1. Kylo Ren, great villain. There was always a bit of a disconnect between Anakin Skywalker and Darth Vader... I could never picture Hayden Christensen in the suit with the deep James Earl Jones voice. But in this... there he is, Ben Solo unmasked and the voice fits.

2. Rey is fantastic. Who would have thought she was Jar Jar Binks' daughter (jokes). But by the end we still don't know her last name. Rey Solo? Rey Skywalker? Rey Ackbar? She fit the Falcon like a glove and had instant chemistry with Han and Leia, so I'm leaning toward her being a Solo still, though you would have thought that Han/Leia might have noticed something? It would make me happy if Rey is Ben/Ren's sister, which would roughly mirror the way the extended universe went, but I'm sure there are alternatives. Having an affinity with the Skywalker lightsaber may be the telling thing though... Time will tell.

3. How about all of the misdirection / trolling from the trailers? We only see Finn (and not Rey) with the lightsaber, and assume he's the Jedi - nice one Lucasfilm.

4. There is so much lore to be filled in between Episode 6 and 7 it is mind-boggling. But in particular will be the story of Luke beginning to train the Jedi, Ben Solo falling to the Dark Side, and the fallout that comes from this to Luke / Han / Leia. And where did this Snoke come from??? So much unexplained. Like who was the guy at the start that Poe got the map piece from??

5. One of the things the prequels got right was having a main theme piece of music for each movie (ala Duel of the Fates). There may have been one here that I missed, but it certainly wasn't as memorable. I guess this fits in with almost too much nostalgia as there was much borrowed from the original trilogy.

6. Overall, clearly better than the prequels and better than I had expected! Though with so much reliance on classic trilogy nostalgia it would be difficult to claim this is the best of the lot. It's not far off though.
YNWA

rank_250
braiko
Main Console: Xbox One
XBL ID:

Postby xboxfanuk » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:20 pm

Well that was crazy! Yeah it felt like the prequels and classic trilogy all in one. Of course the two big shockers:

Spoiler: show
1. Coruscant has been completely blown away! That is huge!

2. Han Solo is dead (and to be honest I never read any Star Wars books or anything, didn't know he had a son)!!

They seemed to compress so much into this film. Also it's definitely the big set up for the other films coming from Disney/Lucas.

I liked it. But WOW thinking about what the Disney Infinity playset is going to be like! I was watching the part where
they were disabling the shield on the weapon/planet thing
was thinking this is going to be the platform section similar to Twilight of the Republic droid factory.
John - Gamertag: xboxfanuk

Friend me for some multiplayer fun.

rank_50
xboxfanuk
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby GuyCC75 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:04 am

Actually, the planet in question was Chandrilla, from "Aftermath".

rank_250
GuyCC75
PSN ID:
XBL ID:

Postby JaysUsername » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:59 am

@braiko great breakdown, I feel the same way.

**Daisy was incredible as Rey, she really shone as the new 'hero' and its clear she has what it takes to carry the new trilogy.

**When Kylo took off his helmet the first time I was a little shocked (I had avoided all spoilers and figured it was Luke) that it was some young nerdy looking guy. That impression quickly faded away as he nailed the performance/torment without hamming it up like so many Villains seem to do now.
----I also appreciate the helmet off approach, like you said, there was always a disconnect between Anakin and Vader as the same person. This time we are going to have a far more intimate/human Villain.

I think it also falls under the iron man principle. Having Iron Man's helmet open so we can see Tony emoting and acting made him far more accessible/human.

I am sad to say, while I appreciate their presence, the Originals were the clunkiest part of the movie. Fisher and Ford were fun to see but the acting wasn't exactly top notch from either one of them, especially Ford in some spots and C3PO's annoying chatter felt out of place in this newer Star Wars. Still, I appreciated the bridging of the two generations but its clear this is a movie for the new generation, which is great for me.

As a dad, there was a moment where I really felt "yes! my son now has his own Star wars trilogy!" And to me that's the most important thing.

rank_100_ftb
JaysUsername
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby pleakley » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:11 pm

can somebody tell me...

which planets were destroyed by starkiller base, I know it was the Hosnian system but was one corrassant and doesnt this mean Mon Mothma has died?

rank_100
pleakley

Postby Dedede_Man » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:33 pm

Can anyone else just... not play as Kylo Ren now?
Dead serious here. When I so much as look at it, I just feel a sickening hatred. Never thought I'd be that hurt about a character in a movie, but I genuinely just can't. I'm getting him to level one and then he'll probably see as much use as my 1.0 figures, if not less.

I was genuinely hoping that Chewie would kill him. I utterly LOATHE him for what he did, not even in a Heathcliff way of "He's so magnificently monstrous", just.... "I hate this character".

Guess they did a good job of evoking my emotions, heh.
Disney Infinity needs the glory of Cory.
I love collecting stuff.

rank_250
Dedede_Man
Main Console: Wii U
NN ID:
Steam:

Postby MightyGitis » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:01 pm

To be honest I love Kylo Ren even more than I did going in. He is a beautifully chaotic mess of an antagonist.

rank_2000_ftb_10
MightyGitis
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby LittleBabyBlue » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:24 pm

Having just watched the film I came away with mixed feelings. It started great, that good old feeling was there, the casting was ace and I loved it all. Then it all became too familiar. First I thought they where copying the first film just in the begining to get everyone onboard with the new characters, and expected the story to evolve into it's own thing. It never did. So when the death thing happened I was already expecting it and just disapointed I was right. J.J.Abrams tried to copy x-files and now it's episode 4. Don't get me wrong, the movie is good, but a rehash will never be great and if the next two movies are just copies of episode 5 and 6 then the entire new trilogy will bomb.

So yeah, with the unoriginal plot in mind I think Rey is Kylos sister, and that Finn will turn out to be an originals son...

rank_100
LittleBabyBlue

Next

Return to Disney movies and tv