Ten Reasons EA Should Save Disney Infinity

release dates, identification, wish lists, images, videos, and general information

Re: Ten Reasons EA Should Save Disney Infinity

Postby No.1 Pooh Bear Fan » Thu May 19, 2016 2:14 am

I actually spotted your article on Twitter a while ago when I searched #SaveDisneyInfinity. Someone had shared it. People have definitely noticed it.

rank_50
No.1 Pooh Bear Fan
Main Console: Xbox 360

Postby Letthewookiewin » Thu May 19, 2016 5:38 am

Glad to hear. Can you guys all retweet it to @EA and @Disney as well as to anyone else that should see it. Thank you all for your help. I wouldn't have been able to finish and submit the article without your help. #savedisneyinfinity

rank_0
Letthewookiewin
Main Console: PS4

Postby pjhaan » Thu May 19, 2016 11:05 am

I was curious about the JV at the bottom as well.

EDIT: I tweeted the article this morning

rank_1000_ftb
pjhaan
Main Console: Wii U
XBL ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby rogpalmeruk » Thu May 19, 2016 8:41 pm

Haha thanks for that article Jack, yeah I spotted the JV at the end and had it changed to Jack to make sure there was no confusion.... There has been plenty of discussion about EA doing it... Hopefully it gets some discussion going at the top

rank_250_ftb
rogpalmeruk
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby pjhaan » Sat May 21, 2016 10:54 pm

^ Are these discussions the fans or actual industry discussions? Source?

Just Curious

rank_1000_ftb
pjhaan
Main Console: Wii U
XBL ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Iskathor » Sun May 22, 2016 9:23 am

I think one possible solution could be to split disney infinity in several games. Leaving the development of the different games to different companies and having one toy box game. Once the games are out they could sell figures that blocked different thing in the games and in the toy box game in a similar way to the amiibo.
EA could make the new SW battlefront with a kid mode unlooked buying some figures so all the figures and terrain would be changed to the DI look (toys breaking instead of dying, ...) and they would have a Shooter game for the older players and for the young ones (similar to the SPlatoon).
People working on the toy box could make games similar to the TakeOver/Racing more complex than toy boxes but not as complex as a full game using older franchises (princesses, duck adventures, kim possible, wizards of Mickey, ...)
But I do not see anything like that happening.

rank_0
Iskathor
Main Console: Xbox One

Postby David Gunn » Mon May 23, 2016 4:19 am

I think all of the points made on this are pretty spot on. Infinity as a marketing and advertising branch for Disney and its properties, really was a brilliant franchise, having the ability to appeal not only to children but parent or adult alike. If Disney is counting on robust sales coming from future licensed movie tie-in games, like the ones of years past. I think they are in for a rude awakening. You take away the toy box, you take away player freedom, player choice, player creativity. And instead supply them with titles that are no larger in scale and scope than say a mobile game. Games with repetitive objectives, linear, dictated experiences, really offer nothing. You are not likely to endear yourself to consumers as anything more than quick cash grabs that we use to see all the time. When you think of all the back catalog characters and I.P.s, the theme parks, the future films..."20,000 leagues under the sea, Pirates, The live action Fairy tale films, Marvel, Star Wars, Indiana Jones...etc. Its impossible to ignore that as a company, any company, money is to be made there. Another interesting aspect to Infinity, is the way it could still sell product to some degree even if the connected movie property was not a hit. The new Alice film is not exactly getting great reviews, but I see many still wanting the Alice figures. And in turn even for some some , by having the Alice figures, they're bound to be those that go and see the film regardless of what they have heard about its own successes or failings. Lone Ranger was a bomb, but I know many who got the playset and figures as well. This is the kind of marketing reach you want to have with consumers. By not having anything like this and instead just having some cheap 2 hour tie in game. Your not gonna sell as much you think. The gaming industry is constantly changing, people are fighting back against pre orders, consumers are becoming more discerning. SW Battlefront made a lot of money, but it also burned a lot of people. Many tired of it quickly. Pay walls , season passes, repetitive experiences, etc. So EA is going to have to course correct on what they did with that title. But I'm not going to let my 6 year old play that Battlefront, so EA would be wise to want to reach out to me and my family combined with an experience that we can all participate in. Taking up Disney Infinity would be a good idea, even if its a long shot. If no one picks up Disney Infinity, I'd be willing to bet that in some years time it will become readily apparent, just how vital Infinity was as a franchise, as a pipeline for all the properties Disney wanted to have awareness for and in creating an interest in consumers using their purchasing power towards those properties and their related materials. Also in maintaining an awareness of its existing library and catalog of all things Disney, past ,present, or future. People wanted Peter Pan, its a classic, I'm willing to bet that it was also a title that families shared with each other, to their kids, and grandkids. So its a separate media they bought or rented or owned. The awareness of one created interest in the other. And for a company like Disney that should be music to their ears. The sound of cash registers all over the world. I would hope a company like EA would see that same potential, unless of course Disney once again made it so difficult to operate with the licenses, that EA would just say forget it, its not worth it. The consumers and teams that worked on this care about it, Disney does not. Disney exists only to profit any way they can. So its safe to say they will never know what they had within their grasp. Lets hope that maybe some one else will, a person or company with the ability to see 5 or 10 years out, can see how with some fine tuning, and restructuring with how the property operated,functioned, and delivered. Could possibly take the reigns. I certainly hope so. Otherwise it is a very large void that will always nag everytime some one puts in some mediocre two-bit tie-in cash grab that carries the word DISNEY on its cover.

rank_0
David Gunn
XBL ID:

Postby rogpalmeruk » Mon May 23, 2016 11:26 am

One argument I would have in favour of Season Passes is basically games haven't really gone up in price... I brought Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers on the NES in 1990 for £45, Street Fighter 2 on the Mega Drive for £65 in the early ninties, yet Battlefront was £39.99 (even cheaper)... what else has basically stayed the same price for 25+ years... games have got cheaper than ever, but to put all the season pass content into the game will cost maybe £60/£70 but people don't like the idea of paying that... the recent LEGO Avengers is a perfect example, the season pass was pretty cheap at £8 and i think it offered lots of value but had the game just been £50 to begin with without a season pass, people would have been "nah..too expensive".. I hate season passes & micro transactions, i can't stand the idea of just having cheap mobile games (that aren't really cheap) instead of good content... Marvel Contest of Champions is a great mobile game, but a proper console version like Capcom vs Marvel 3 etc, wold be so much better.....

rank_250_ftb
rogpalmeruk
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Previous

Return to Disney Infinity hardware and software, merchandise and toys