Look to the past for hope. ( and jumping ship )

if there is no specific Disney Infinity forum then it goes in here

Look to the past for hope. ( and jumping ship )

Postby BionicKoalaBoy » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:38 pm

I’m saddened to see Infinity players jumping ship. It’s apparent due to the amount of figures being traded in at gamestop/CEX stores, and the increases in ebay stock. Figures like Barbossa, Anakin Skywalker and Lightning McQueen are now just £1 each? Great if you like modding ( which I do ), but sad to see it being abandoned by users simply due to the online functionality being cancelled. My post does have a point, and it’s this.

I’m a long term Sega Dreamcast fan as thousands of others are, and am gutted that it had such a short life span and that online functionality ( for Phantasy star online mainly ) was cancelled and pretty much stole the ‘heart’ of the game. Dreamcast fans are rabid. We have been forceful, supportive, driven, and outspoken in ‘keeping the dream alive’ through community. This is INFINITY'S strength if it’s maintained. Community has led to many new Dreamcast games being developed through Kickstarter, and online functionalities being re-instated. 2 games in the past month! New Dreamcast games are being programmed as we speak, 15 years after the console’s cancellation! ( If this were Infinity I’d be posting this in 2031 ). It wasn't a software company that has given Dreamcast longevity ( too much of a financial gamble, and not about passion, more about £ $ ) But fan passion.

COMMUNITY SPIRIT. People are sharing knowledge, working as a team, contacting programmers, and showing a dogged determination to not let something they love to wither and die. The ‘ship jumpers’ should hold on. ( Or put their DI stuff in the attic/loft for a decade ). The Dreamcast community have managed to get around dial-up internet and so many other technical difficulties it’s astounding. The determination and support is beyond belief.

So let’s give it time. I may be retired by the time DI comes back, but it’ll be a good party. Imagine 15 years of un-shared toy boxes? That’s a convention I’ll be at ( with my Mickey ears on. ;) )

Hear's a thought - It will most likely be your Raspberry PI inspired 8 year old than anyone of our generation bringing it back. It's usually the retro enthusiasts who have the 'vavoom'.

rank_250
BionicKoalaBoy
Main Console: Xbox One
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Re: Look to the past for hope.

Postby Sheriff Woody » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:12 pm

a big slap in the face was the "fans" that had met up with JV and other members of the team selling up within days of the game being cancelled. that really was hurtful.

Sheriff
Sheriff Woody
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Hopeless » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:29 am

I didn't know Disney Infinity 1.0 wasn't released on the Xbox One!
Still considering upgrading even though the PS4 looks more enticing at this stage, but looking atop of my cupboard my DI figures still safe and snug!
Was actually worried this site was going to turn into a ghost town!

rank_250
Hopeless
Main Console: Xbox 360

Postby goofyspaceranger » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:30 am

I think it's a little easier for those of us who never attended a summit, who never met any of the Disney Infinity Team face-to-face - less attachment. If it's any consolation, I fully believe that the vast majority of the team had no idea that cancellation was happening until it did. And John Vignocchi is the best chance for the Toy Box reboot - if he had not played "by the rules", he would have had no way to negotiate the transfer of the Toy Box engine or the licensing of the Disney Infinity IP to an independent company. Whether or not he's tried already or what that reaction may have been is anybody's guess. I do still believe there is hope - the reboot would not have happened before he officially left the Walt Disney Company, and it would not have happened until the announcement of server shutdown. Now we have a timeline. It's not a huge window of opportunity, but the window is there. The vast majority of the factors are completely outside of our control, but the clean break makes it possible to completely overhaul the business model, the infrastructure, the database design, refinements on the Creativi-Toy interfaces, everything - and who knows what tiny little spark out of the brainstorm might help nudge an independent video game company in the right direction? ;) If they use any of the ideas, great. If they don't use a single one, but reboot Infinity anyway, still great. 8-)

#SaveDisneyInfinity
Use the Force in Holocron Heuristics to program with more Creativi-Toys!

rank_750
goofyspaceranger
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby BionicKoalaBoy » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:59 pm

@Hopeless

The move from 360 to One is something i'm planning. But there's a lot to take into consideration. - See my thread below.

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=14448#sthash.aH5Oim0Y.dpbs

rank_250
BionicKoalaBoy
Main Console: Xbox One
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Return to Disney Infinity everything else discussions