Avengers Alliance is being shut down

walkthroughs, hints, tips and glitches that are not Disney Infinity related

Avengers Alliance is being shut down

Postby Tilarta » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:54 am

I started up Avengers Alliance 2 to play my daily session when the game informed me they were deactivating it in 28 days.
More info here:
Avengers Alliance shutdown

This came out of nowhere.
I've been working really hard on this game and apparently, it was all wasted effort! :x :(
I can tell you now, I'm not going to bother playing it for the next 28 days, if it's going to go away, then it's pointless to keep playing it.

I am starting to be really concerned about Disney's business model now as regards gaming.
First Disney Infinity, now this.
At this point, I'd say they've lost any ability to participate in the gamer market altogether!
Since all they know how to do is give us a taste of something fun, then take it away!

Apologies if I sound bitter/harsh, but I didn't take the ending of Disney Infinity well and to lose another game I was enjoying for no good reason just pushed my temper over the edge.

rank_250
Tilarta
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:
Disney ID:
Steam:

Re: Avengers Alliance is being shut down

Postby Sheriff Woody » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:24 am

you don't sound bitter or harsh. i think it sucks that Disney no longer seems to care about magic and just focuses on money.

Sheriff
Sheriff Woody
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Tilarta » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:33 am

rank_250
Tilarta
PSN ID:
Disney ID:
Steam:

Postby rogpalmeruk » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:32 pm

I think MAA was probably cut for the same reason Infinity was, as it was an internal Disney game, unlike their other games like Future Fight, Contest of Champions.... Which are franchised out. So it might have all been interconnected with the reasons Infinity was closed,

rank_250_ftb
rogpalmeruk
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Tilarta » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:26 pm

So any game that isn't directly under the Disney umbrella should be safe from shutdown under whatever conditions they decide warrants termination?

I still play Future Fight now and then.
I lost interest in Contest of Champions, it just wasn't the kind of game I enjoy.
Neither did I enjoy the Lego Avengers game.

I guess that doesn't leave many options for Marvel gaming.
Or any options rather, I think they've all been exhausted.

And please don't discuss Marvel Heroes, I don't want to talk about it.

So most likely, they're just axing the entire Disney gaming division?
Disney Infinity and Avengers Alliance were just victims of a policy that affected every game Disney was operating?

I'll have to keep an eye on that, if they start churning out more games like Emoji Blitz or Frozen Freefall, I have every right to be suspicious about the direction they want to take Disney Gaming.
And yes, I do play those games. ;)

rank_250
Tilarta
PSN ID:
Disney ID:
Steam:

Postby rogpalmeruk » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:43 am

I think with online games, its more a case of "When" it'll be shut down rather then "if". Online games can't go on forever unless they keep reinventing themselves and bringing the cash in. Looking at something like The Old Republic or Warcraft, they keep investing in the game..... At least Star Wars & Marvel franchises are still getting new content in the next year, Disney franchises seem to be hardest hit by the drop of the big axe on the whole of Disney Interactive. They might be focused on mobile, but those games still have to perform well.

rank_250_ftb
rogpalmeruk
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Tilarta » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:24 pm

I had thought that mmos needed to add new content to keep the game interesting.
Apparently not, at least in my experience.

Star Trek Online has gone down to minimal updates, there's barely anything truly engaging added anymore.
Champions Online has fared even worse in that area, something new every 2 years is the average.
And even then, what they add doesn't last all that long in terms of gameplay, a few hours and it's done.

Defiance doesn't add anything ever as far as I can tell, they added one new map months ago and that was it.

World of Warcraft, I have never played that game and don't intend to.
But I have picked up a fair bit of second hand information, both from actual players and the internet.
Successful is a relative term, it's unimaginative and repetitive at best.
From what I gather, games like WoW and Guild Wars are designed to cater to the "grinder mentality".
That's a player who thinks doing a specific task for hours on end is fun, they don't actually think about what they are doing.
It's the psychological equivalent of playing on autopilot.

I've always disliked magic/fantasy games and recently, my distaste has become quite significant, which is why I truly despise that genre of games now.
In terms of Marvel games, it means I will have to avoid anything Avengers or crossover branded, because it introduces a lot of the magic/fantasy content to the detriment of the content I prefer (Iron Man, X-Men, Fantastic Four).
And X-Men is losing it's market presence, because the legal infighting with 20th Century Fox has caused Marvel to downplay that franchise, to the point where they may be eliminating it entirely, at least in the comics.

It didn't take long for the predicted scenario to take effect.
This is what arrived in my mailbox just now, a new Marvel mobile game:
Marvel Tsum Tsum

A game about novelty pillows?
Really?
Is that the best they could come up with?

rank_250
Tilarta
PSN ID:
Disney ID:
Steam:

Return to other video games and consoles