Quotes and Replies

Quotes and Replies

Postby ntnon » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:53 pm

Without wanting to make waves (or at least not high waves...), can I politely question the logic behind the rigorous policing of, and frowning on, quotes..? And/or ask for a mild re-think (IF POSSIBLE) of how the reply window displays..?

For two reasons:

1. I've personally never found it disrupts the flow of reading posts, which I think is one of the primary reasons behind this ruling. Indeed:
1.1. Having the quote within the reply allows me to easily see precisely what the reply is to. Suggesting that 'regular speech does not quote back part of a conversation before making a reply' is disingenuous and not always wholly accurate. When holding a multi-person conversation, it's not uncommon to single out a particular thread, and say "in relation to YOUR comment..", even if it's obvious. Furthermore, a message board system is not identical to a regular person-to-person conversation, because it is written and read, not spoken and heard. It allows for re-reading and redrafting, among other benefits - and drawbacks - over audible conversation.

2. Because of the stated aversion to quotes, some lengthier and more considered replies are becoming difficult-to-impossible:
2.1. By not quoting (as I worry about being edited or banned), in the main reply window (with easy links for emboldening and underlining, etc.) I don't have the original statement available to me - this is partly because the reply window opens entirely separately from the thread. Many other iterations of message boards open the reply window with the recent thread posts copied below it. The brief reply is, of course, on the main page with the thread, and makes it easier to refer back.
2.2. Many times, I feel it would be beneficial to comment/reply/rebut point-by-point, but without interspersed quotes it is often unclear both what is being replied to at all, and specifically which point matches which - unless I type a direct quote, which is quoting by the backdoor.

Obviously over-quoting and complex nesting (already disallowed) can be awkward and jarring and confusing. But perhaps a trial relaxing of the rules might make more considered and follow-able comments easier.

Hope this doesn't overstep the rules, and I stress that the main thrust for me asking this question is a frustration that the full reply option does not appear to let me refer back to the original post - which means I'm currently editing and re-editing the same post, referring in between to what I'm trying to reply to, often losing the thread of my thoughts in the meantime! Plus, repeated editing has allowed me to delete sentences accidentally twice...

rank_500
ntnon
Main Console: PS3

Re: Quotes and Replies

Postby Sheriff Woody » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:05 pm

quoting when the next person to reply. quoting large amounts of text when only replying to part of it. etc. etc. it is frustrating to scroll down pages full of quotes that aren't needed especially when on a mobile device.

1.1 above is a justified use of quoting as it indicates that the reply has been thought about
2.2 above is a justified use of quoting as it indicates that the reply has been thought about

the issue has been after several months of reminding people, often the same people, they continue to quote for no reason other than laziness. basically you can blame the people who even after being reminded continued to quote unnecessarily.

Sheriff
Sheriff Woody
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby ntnon » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:34 pm

Fair enough. I presumed that - people not really understanding how to USE quotes - was the main reason for the perceived blanket ban, but I appreciate you confirming it.

And I appreciate you saying that thought-through quoting is definitely (probably!) fine, but just in case... next time you have the chance, could you see if there is any chance for an on-page full-quote, so I can refer back without quotes..? I don't like being moderated, so I'm trying to be more spartan than I normally am... ;)

rank_500
ntnon

Postby Sheriff Woody » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:42 pm

necessary quotes are necessary and i have no issue with them be used thoughtfully

if you use chrome and then duplicate the tab with the content you would like to quote you can easily refer to it ;)

Sheriff
Sheriff Woody
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby ntnon » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:53 pm

Tabs will help, that's true.

Incidentaaly, I've noticed some posts/threads are showing up for me sans-Quote option... Is that me, a glitch, or quite deliberate..?!

rank_500
ntnon

Return to Forum Related Suggestions, Ideas, Comments and Questions